One of the things I love to do is decorating, redecorating, making a place cozy and pretty.
At Casa Vita we started with a fully furnished house, mostly by Ikea. The former owners were great in reshaping and rebuilding the two old trullis and in making a beautiful yard. But I guess for the interior of the house, they preferred the simplicity of Ikea. Could be a practical side to it too, renting out a house brings along a big risk of damage.
We rent the house out as well. But if we stay at Casa Vita, we don’t want to live in an Ikea showroom 🙂 And so far, our guests have appreciated a more personal approach too.
We didn’t want to throw anything away, nor did we want to buy expensive things, so this is what we mainly did:
- we had two big grayish Ikea armchairs which were comfortable, so we had them upholstered with dark green velvet
- a few dark wood racks and side tables I painted white
- we added some old antique furniture from my parents’ home (a coincidence, when we bought Casa Vita, we had to empty my parental home at around the same period), that otherwise would have had to be given away
- we bought a few things: a new carpet (Sanderson) and Fermob furniture that we use indoors as well as outdoors
- I regularly check Zara Home for sales, and buy sheets and covers to bring in colors
- I made a lot of outdoor and indoor cushions myself
- I adapted some pictures (of Sofia Loren and Claudia Cardinale) in photoshop and had them printed.
- recently we added the two pink tabourets and golden side table
- we chose dark green and pink as main colors for the living room and kitchen
- all the outdoor cushions were also redone in dark green
- with some help, I used leftover wallpaper (remember my wallpaper addiction?) and designed a new screen
We did do a big renovation. The kitchen is totally redone, in Puglian style. I searched through a lot of books with old Puglian kitchens, and we had the kitchen made by a local carpenter. We are very pleased with the result! For the custom made tiles we also stuck to green and raspberry pink. The countertop is from pietra di Trani, a local stone. The floor was also made from the same stone. By the way, Trani is a beautiful town a little further north in Puglia.
But let me show you in several pictures:
the armchair with old fabric:
Upholstered with good quality velvet fabric. The screen you see here is from Maison du Monde, I found it attracted a bit too much attention
So I designed a new screen, with leftover wallpaper from home
And we put the other screen in one of the trulli
Here you see the pictures I redesigned. And the old dark side tables I repainted white.
Cushions I made and the new carpet – tropical style 😉
The old Ikea kitchen and the new one in Puglian style
The dark green comes back in the cushions in the outdoor areas
Can you give me advice?
In each room I have a Fermob chair to put some clothing on. I want to use these chairs for the outdoor table now. What do you think of these rattan ones instead? Other suggestions? Let me know!
On the left, you also see an old closet and a little mirror from my parents home. And you can see that this trullo room is made on the rocks of Puglian ground.
Some white rotan chairs
Thanks for your help!
Ciao, ciao, Sophia